- Buehler, Michael, Ronnie Nataatmadja and Iqra Anugrah. 2021. “Limitations to subnational authoritarianism: Indonesian local government head elections in comparative perspective,” Regional& Federal Studies, DOI: 10.1080/13597566.2021.1918388 Online Supplement
- Buehler, Michael. 2021. “Indonesia in 2020: Pestilence and Incompetence,” Asian Survey, DOI: 10.1525/AS.2021.61.1.106.
- Buehler, Michael and Ronnie Nataatmadja. 2020. “Authoritarian diasporas in Indonesia and the Philippines: comparative perspectives on elite survival and defection,” Democratization DOI: 10.1080/13510347.2020.1832084 Online Supplement
- Buehler, Michael. 2020. “Try to be more like Norway on a sunny day!” Regulatory Capitalism and the Challenges of Combatting Corruption in Indonesia’s Upstream Oil and Gas Sector Supply Chains. Oil, Gas& Energy Law Intelligence (March), ISSN 1875-418X.
- Buehler, Michael and Ronnie Nataatmadja. 2019. A research agenda for studying legislative incumbent turnover in new democracies, using Indonesia as a case study. Southeast Asia Research, DOI: 10.1080/0967828X.2019.1642027
- Pisani, Elizabeth and Michael Buehler. 2016. Why do Indonesian politicians promote shari’a laws? An analytic framework for Muslim-majority democracies. Third World Quarterly, DOI: 10.1080/01436597.2016.1206453
- Buehler, Michael and Dani Muhtada. 2016. Democratization and the Diffusion of Shari’a Law: Comparative Insights from Indonesia, Southeast Asia Research, Vol. 24, No. 2, (261-282). Online Appendices
- Schraufnagel, Scot, Michael Buehler and Maureen Lowry-Fritz. 2014. Voter Turnout in Democratizing Southeast Asia: A Comparative Analysis of Electoral Participation in Five Countries, Taiwan Journal of Democracy, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1-22.
- Buehler, Michael. 2013. Subnational Islamization through Secular Parties: Comparing Shari’a Politics in Two Indonesian Provinces, Comparative Politics, Vol. 46, No. 1, 63-82.
- Buehler, Michael. 2012. Revisiting the Inclusion-Moderation Thesis in the Context of Decentralized Institutions: The Behavior of Indonesia’s Prosperous Justice Party in National and Local Politics, Party Politics, Vol. 19. No. 2, 210-29.
- Buehler, Michael. 2011. Indonesia’s Law on Public Services No. 25/2009: Changing State-Society Relations or Continuing Politics as Usual? Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Vol. 47, No. 1, 65-86.
- Buehler, Michael. 2008. Shari’a By-Laws in Indonesian Districts: An Indication for Changing Patterns of Power Accumulation and Political Corruption. Southeast Asia Research, Vol. 16, No. 2, 165-95.
- Buehler, Michael and Paige Johnson Tan. 2007. Party-Candidate Relationships in Indonesian Local Politics: A Case Study of the 2005 Regional Elections in Gowa, South Sulawesi Province. Indonesia, Vol. 84, October 2007, 41-69.
- Buehler, Michael. 2007. Local Elite Reconfiguration in Post-New Order Indonesia: An Analysis of the 2005 Elections of District Government Heads. Review of Indonesian and Malaysian Affairs, Vol. 41, No. 1, 119-47.
- Buehler, Michael. 2002. Evaluation des New Public Management in der Stadt Winterthur. Studien zur Politikwissenschaft, No. 318, 25-56.